Anaheim’s Favorite Mexican-Fusion Restaurant Will Celebrate Day Of The Dead With Limited Time
“Mes De Los Muertos” Menu Available From October 5 To November 2
ANAHEIM, CA (October 5, 2023) – Anaheim’s colorful Day of the Dead-themed Mexican restaurant, Calaca Mamas Cantina, is celebrating Dia de los Muertos all month long with its “Mes de los Muertos” menu, exclusively available from Thursday, October 5 to Thursday, November 2. The menu, which highlights authentic Mexican flavors with a creative Calaca Mamas’ spin, features one ‘Cóctel’, four ‘Small Bites’ appetizers, two ‘Platillos,’ a variety of tacos, and one dessert, all inspired by cuisine traditionally served during the holiday.
Dia de los Muertos is held annually on the first two days of November and serves as a festival of remembrance for deceased loved ones. The holiday typically involves creating colorful altars, dining with family over traditional foods, and participating in parades and events to celebrate the lives of the departed. The term “Mes de los Muertos,” translated as “Month of the Dead,” was introduced as part of Calaca Mamas Cantina's effort to pay homage to the culture that inspired its inception. Crafted by Calaca Mamas’ Executive Chef Yen Wu, the Mes de los Muertos menu includes:
- El Regreso (organic grapefruit juice / lime / organic agave syrup / house-made cinnamon infused reposado tequila)
- Small Bites:
- Mango Habanero Guacamole (mango pico / guacamole / dry chili / micro cilantro)
- Tuetano Corn Esquite (bone marrow / corn / pasilla ash mayo / lime / tajin / cotija queso)
- Sopes Colorados (organic blue corn sopes / chile colorado / black beans / crema / Jardin)
- Ceviche (wild caught shrimp / cucumbers / tomato / onions / serrano chilies / lime juice / tostadas)
- Tacos - (All served in an organic, blue corn tortilla)
- Pork al Pastor Taco
- Chicken Verde Taco
- Panela Taco
- Taco Trio (any 3 tacos, plus rice and choice of beans)
- Chicken en Salsa Verde (organic chicken breast / green tomatillo salsa / refried pinto beans / cotija cheese)
- Puerco en Salsa Verde (crispy carnitas / tomatillo salsa / bed of pinto beans / marinade onions / corn tortillas)
- Deconstructed Chocoflan (seasonal berries / pastel de chocolate / flan de la abuela)
"We take immense pride in providing a venue for families to come together and cherish their loved ones," stated Mariam El Haj, founder and co-owner of Calaca Mamas Cantina. "Although our mission is to offer this welcoming space year-round, it held particular importance to extend this commitment during Dia de los Muertos. For us, as well as many others, food plays an integral role in celebrating life's meaningful moments, so we feel especially elated to introduce our month-long Mes de los Muertos menu, as a gesture of respect to the rich culture and traditions inherent in this celebration of life."
Established in May 2022, the restaurant serves as a tribute to Mexican heritage, emphasizing the celebration of life, death, and the significance of family. The establishment commemorates this culture through various elements, including the expansive ofrenda (altar) adorned with mementos from the team's departed family members and its name "Calaca," which signifies sugar skull in Spanish.
Calaca Mamas is open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. The restaurant is adjacent to the Disneyland Resort, and is located at 1550 S. Harbor Blvd. Reservations can be made by calling (714) 215-4226. To stay up to date with Calaca Mamas, visit Instagram and Facebook at @CalacaMamas or sign up for the newsletter by visiting CalacaMamas.com.